Delirium by Lauren Oliver- A Review

What I'm reading by Cindy

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I’ve always believed them.
Until now.
Now everything has changed. Now, I’d rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.

Catchy isn't it?

I thought so. I listened to this book. It is, of course, another dysopian novel in the realm of Matched, Divergent and Hunger Games. It has a nice twist, though. In her safe, government controlled society, she anxiously awaits her surgery to be cured of the disease, deliria, or love. Haunted by her mother's suicide that was attributed to the disease, she counts down the days. Much to her chagrin, she meets a boy, Alex, who causes her to show the signs of the disease. At first, she is horrified, but then decides that this feeling, this thing called love, is amazing and she never wants anyone to take the feeling away. Especially not the government.

Lauren Oliver has a clean, beautiful style that captures each moment, bringing the reader inside the story. While I thought this was good, there are a few scenes that make it less than optimal for all teen readers. The sad part is that  the scenes did not need to be a part of the story. I do not want my teen girls reading a book where the characters explore each others naked bodies. It's unfortunate that a few pages make me unable to recommend this book to the audience for which it was intended.

I'm listening to Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys and Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I just finished AYear Down Yonder by Richard Peck, and started Exile by Rashelle Workman, and The Hidden Sun by J.Lloyd Morgan.