Do I know You?

Tidbits From My Travels by William

I'm sure it has happened to all of us at some point in our lives (at least I hope I'm not alone in this).

I'm standing, sitting somewhere, or maybe I'm in my car, and I see a person I don't know.  They act like they know me and they begin smiling and waving.  Quickly, my own brand of face recognition software kicks into gear and I come up blank.  The face is not in my memory bank.  But, somehow it seems like I know this person because they seem to know me.  All of this takes place in an instant.

I can't help at this point but to just play along.  First, a smile appears on my face.  Then comes the cautious wave.  Every now and then, I might actually start to say hi.  Then like an alarm going off, I get the feeling to look behind me.  Please no!  Tell me there isn't someone behind me they know.  But, there is!  The wave was meant for that someone, not me.  I was just the poor dude in the way.  Why do these people not move so I'm not in their path!?

For a moment, I'm overcome with embarrassment.  I usually try to get the heck out of there.  I seem to recover quicker if the two reunited friends don't have me there to look at and steal a laugh, that comes at my expense.

Tell me, please, hasn't this happened to you?