Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua -A Review


What I'm reading now-
The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
Ever wondered what it was like to be a Chinese mother? Have you ever wondered just what makes them tick and how they could "treat their children that way"? Read this book and you will know.
This book made me laugh out loud and also made me shudder.
Not only did this book help me jump into the mind of a Chinese mother, it made me look at my own parenting, customs and ideals with new eyes.

So, jump into Amy's mind and discover why her daughters were never allowed to:

• have a play date
• be in a school play
• complain about not being in a school play
• not be the #1 student in every subject except gym and drama
• play any instrument other than the piano or violin
• not play the piano or violin
You just might start to agree with some of her crazy, overboard tactics to produce amazing children.

Love, love, love it! Entertaining and insightful

I had ended this post here, but thanks to my good friend at Small Town Shelly Brown's comment, I thought I'd better give a bit of a summary. I was afraid to do so, simply because I can't do it justice. Reading my summary is not going to make you want to read it, but what I wrote above will. So, read this little summary and then make sure you pick it up. It only took me a couple hours to read and I'm a more tolerant person for doing it.

The Battle Hymn of the the Tiger Mother is a memoir of Amy Chua and her two daughters. After raising her first daughter, Sophia, as only a Chinese mother could ,without so much as a hiccup in protest, Amy is thrown for a loop when her second daughter, Lulu, refuses to be molded in the same way.

Headstrong and determined to be who she wants to be and not who her mother wants her to be, Lulu gives her mom fits and makes her re-evaluate her Chinese parenting style.

Really, all Amy wanted was to do what was best for both her children and couldn't understand how Lulu could be so resistant. Lulu wanted to be an individual and do what she loved, not what her mom expected of her. Of course, what her mom expected of her is what her mother felt would give Lulu the best future possible.
Amy has produced a commentary on Western vs. Eastern styles of parenting in a riveting, I simply can't put it down style.
I feel my eyes have been opened into a culture I've never quite been able to understand. It will make you crazy and it will give you validation...hopefully, it will make you think.

So, there you have it, my horrible attempt at summarizing a book that is hard to summarize.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.



.