Review of The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Books I'm currently Reading by Cindy

Ever since talking to James at the Storymakers conference last year, I've wanted to read his book, The Maze Runner. He was so funny with the MCing that I knew it would be a winner. He said, "this is definitely a darker book than I've ever done before." He was right. It is dark and creepy, especially the grievers. Just try and get a good picture of one of those in your mind and then try to sleep at night-click, click.

Can you imagine how horrible it would be to wake up in a box that has no apparent exit and not know who you are? And when the box is opened, you are met by some odd boys who speak a crazy language and refuse to answer any questions about where you are?

Even though I call this a "boy book", I can't help but like it. I found a lot of parallels to life.
  • No one, and I mean no one, wants to be told what they can and can't do.
  • Many things in life take a leap of faith
  • If at first you don''t succeed, try, try again
  • Give me liberty or give me death
  • Think outside the box-hee hee
  • Where there's a will, there's a way
  • Some rules were meant to be broken
  • If we work together, we can create something amazing
  • Trust in your gut
  • If you try enough things, you will find what you like
I know I'm behind and should already have read his second book, but at least I have a running start now. The Scorch Trials is the second book and his third comes out soon. Go get them and enjoy. You just might find some substitute swear words leaping out of your mouth if you do....Oh clunk!

This is not a warm and fuzzy feel good book, but it makes you think and keeps you on the edge of your seat.