London Broil Dip Sandwiches
These are a never-fail-crowd-pleaser. We have these a lot when all or most of my nine siblings with their families are together.
This recipe serves 5-6, so multiply if you must.
- Cut a one lb. london broil or beef flank steak 1/8th of an inch deep with a diamond pattern on both sides.
- Mix 21/2 Tbl. vegtable oil, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 2 cloves of minced garlic in a glass container.(or marinating container)
- Place steak in marinade and turn it over, basting both sides. Let sit.
- Turn on broiler to low
- Slice one large onion thinly.
- Melt 1 Tbl. butter in a saute pan and add the onions. Saute until transluscent and then lightly browned. Set aside.
- Place beef on a broiler pan or aluminum foil with the edges curled up so as to not let any juices drip over the edges and place in oven.
- Broil about 2 inches from the broiler for 5 minutes. Meat should be brown.
- Turn beef over and brush with any remaining oil mixture.
- Broil another 5 minutes or until it has reach the doneness you desire.It should be pink in the center.
- Let meat sit for 10 minutes
- Cut 6 ranch or 3 hoagie rolls in half and butter. (I've even used french bread before)
- Put under broiler for 15 -30 seconds until it starts to be crispy, but not brown.
- Put a thin slice of swiss cheese on the top 1/2 of the roll and return to oven until cheese is melted and sides turn a golden brown. This takes at most 1 minute, don't leave them.
- Cut beef on an angle into thin slices and place on roll.
- Top with onions and then place cheesed bun on top.